The spirit of Saemaul which became a cornerstone in the modernization of Korea following the model of Sindo village, Cheongdo.
In August, 1969, after visiting a flood disaster site in Gyeongsangnam-do which was being restored, President Park Chung-hee at the time happened to see the people of Sindo Village, Cheongdo-eup located near the railway doing repair work like roof improvement, bank restoration, and road maintenance work. At that time, he conceived an idea, which came into a reality in the name of the Saemaul Undong.
On April 22, 1970, President Park told participants in the meeting of governors from around the nation to follow the model of Sindo Village. This initiated the Saemaul Undong, and Sindo Village became the cradle of the movement, Saemaul Undong.
- Introduction to Sindo Village
- Sindo Village is located 7km away from the Cheongdo-gun office along the national road(25) to Miryang. This is a pastoral village with the Cheongdocheon Stream flowing in front of the village and little mountains located to the south-west of the village. The village has fertile soil, producing a variety of agricultural specialties such as strawberries, persimmons, apples, peaches, and water parsley. Since the 1970s, the village has been well known as the cradle of the Saemaul Undong. Particularly, the Gyeongbu Line runs through the village, neighboring the Shin Daegu-Busan Expressway, which makes the village easily accessible and geographically convenient.
At the front of the village stands the Memorial Hall of the Saemaul Undong Cradle. At Singeo train station lies Saemaul Undong Cradle Park. Here we can find Saemaul Plaza, the railway train for the President's exclusive use, Singeo Rice Mill and Singeo Station Building. These bring to life the earliest days of the Saemaul Undong. The Cheongdo service area located along the Shin Daegu-Busan Expressway to Busan commands a fine view of Shingeo Village.
- Experience programs for real activities
- Picking Sindo King Strawberries (late February to middle May)
- Picking seedless persimmons (early October to early November)
- Tour of the Saemaul Undong Cradle (regular operation)
- 34, Saemaul 1-gil, Cheongdo-eup, Cheongdo-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do